Our lacrosse players, as well as many ‘civilians,’ are starting to warm up and get in shape for summer activities. As you know, it takes commitment and determination to become an exceptional player, and it takes commitment and determination to get toned and flexible, and strong and agile. Now is the perfect time to make that commitment, and to be your athletic best for summer lacrosse season.
The benefits of being in peak condition are many. There are the obvious ones, such as weight loss, endurance, strengthening your heart and lungs, and building muscle. But there are also some surprising rewards for regular physical activity. These lesser-known motivations for making workouts a priority include:
- Reducing stress. Studies have shown that exercise has a mental effect similar to meditation. Your brain’s focus is turned away from things that worry you in your daily life, allowing a fresh perspective as a result.
- You’ll just be happier! Exercising stimulates the release of endorphins and other mood-lifting chemicals in the body.
- Improving self-esteem. As you tone up and increase your athleticism, you’ll look better, feel better, and people will notice your improved confidence. Even sharing the fact that you are on an exercise program can, and should, make you feel proud and accomplished.
- You’ll sleep better.
- You’ll learn better. Exercise contributes to physically enlarging your hippocampus, the part of your brain that is responsible for memory. You’ll also be pumping more oxygen to your brain cells resulting in an overall improvement of your thinking processes.
- You’ll be more creative. Scientists have found a link between aerobic exercise and increased creativity which can last up to two hours after exercising.
We hope you actually enjoy the process of getting in shape for the season, and hopefully staying in shape for life. Make sure you step outside, soak in the scenery in a natural setting, for additional, improved benefits from your workout.
as well as to avoid injury, and therefore have more fun.